Saturday, January 10, 2009

a warm jacket











a while ago i went with my niece to my lys to buy yarn for another ponchito. she looked in the drops pattern magazine and fell in love with this drops jacket which i incidentally already had thought of knitting for her to make use of my rowan yorkshire tweed in the colourway wild plum which i bought from jannettes rare yarns a few years ago. the colour is a deep wine red with emerald, fuchsia and rust flecks. the colour is a bit difficult but my niece's colours are so good that it suits her. this is what happens when you buy yarn online. you end up with a whole different colour than you had expected. the pattern is a bit difficult to follow. if i didn't have a lot of experience i wouldn't know what to make of it, and i think the translation into english is computer generated. it says, for example, sew the collar tight..... and i thought why, until i realised this is the expression we use in nordic languages to sew something tight.
it wasn't exactly a joy to knit, but mostly because the colour is a bit difficult when you have to work in electric light all the time. there is very little contrast.
i am pleased with the result as i think it fits her perfectly. much better than i expected and i think it will be a winner in her wardrobe. i love the a line and i wouldn't hesitate to knit one for myself after i have finished what i have planned to knit the coming months. i plan to knit fern by alice starmore in the colourway tormentil. the kit was a present for myself and a shetland shawl for the new baby in the family who i think will be a girl, and then there will be no end to the knitting.
this week i started my new job. it is great. i love being a teacher again, and i am in awe of my student's ability to tackle their situation as asylum seekers. it is a very uncertain future they face.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sweater is lovely. And if that is your niece, it certainly does suit her. I know that color, it's hard to photograph. I made myself a sweater in that yarn, color called "Damp" which sounds rather gloomy but is in fact a beautiful blue gray green. Fern is gorgeous, and quite a challenge, I think.

I am so glad to hear the teaching is starting out well.

Kverulantinnen said...

The jacket is lovely. And I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new job.

I have a love-hate relationship with Drops patterns. I've done enough knitting that I can usually figure them out, but I agree that they are really poorly written. I have to go back and forth between the Norwegian and (American) English versions to make sense of them sometimes. And I hate that they use decimal conversions of measurements. Who ever heard of 6.8 inches, for example?!

tannina said...

This is a very nice looking jacket. What are you up to next?
Greetings from Germany Tanja

Liselotte said...

Hvor er den blevet smuk, Merete. Jeg elsker tweedgarner og det der ser ud til at være ualmindelig lækkert :-)

Shan said...

Lovely jacket, lovely girl.

I want to tell you how much I like those little glimpses of Denmark I see in your photos. It probably seems odd to you that I mention it but it's so different to Canada...we don't have those pretty row houses or the same type of pavement as you do, or anything really. Those little details are what I noticed most (and have treasured most) about my trip to Europe all those years ago - small things like different types of door handles to what we have, or the way windows look.

Marianne said...

Hvor er den flot og jeg er helt vild med farven som klæder den kønne niece ualmindeligt godt. Knapperne er da også et kapitel for sig - dem har du ramt godt!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful jacket.

Sounds like your job will be tough, but very rewarding.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely! Good luck with your new job!

Sinéad said...

Glad you're settling into you r new job. Hope it all goes well for you, and your students!
Love the jacket, I think the yarn suits her perfectly!

Jane said...

Lovely jacket. Beautiful colour.

MRS MJW said...

Gorgeous jacket. The color is fabulous on you. Cute baby also.