Wednesday, June 11, 2008

some get a kick from champagne....




and i have to confess so do i. but the arrival of these babies certainly gives me a kick too. as a knitter i am always going for a yarn bargain. the cascade 220 sweater i am knitting now is not pricey at all, and the sweater before that, and the sweater before that.....

but i decided that the next thing i knit for myself should have no boundaries when speaking of beauty and cost and hence i decided to go for knitting alice starmore's: st. brigid in the original 3-ply hebridean. clara parkes praises it in her book and on knitter's review and i have to agree with her. it is not really like anything else i have ever fondled in the yarn department and i have to knit as fast as i can on na craga so i can get this thing going. i remember seeing the roving that tweed is made of on harris, scotland, once. it was a multitude of colours that eventually was spun into a yarn or fabric that looked a little like nothing from afar but that on a closer looked revealed the multitude of shades it actually consisted of. and this is the same. when you look at it so many shades meets the eyes.


the colourway is dulse. dulse is obviously some kind of weed found in scotland and though the overall impression is green there are red, purple, orange, grey, lavender flecks in it and it is the kind of colour that will go with anything. i requested some colour'cards but alice starmore doesn,t do colourcards. but i got 10 generous samples of other colours in her collection. one is prettier than the other. i wish i could go to lewis and do volunteer work for alice for a summer or two. i am sure i would be a better person on return due to the happiness all the colours would shower over me. or maybe it would be even better in the winter.

6 comments:

Shan said...

I wish I had thought of asking her for a colourcard...

The yarn is so lovely. I was so captivated by my Rheingold kit that I wound a ball of each colour just so I could enjoy the yarn and the colours for a while, since I wasn't going to cast on straight away.

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful, I love watching other people play with color (I'm too scared of it still)

You have some great mojo right now!

Anonymous said...

I think you should definitely spoil yourself, especially for that sweater! You are going to make it amazing!!

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Lovely yarn you deserve it:)Hugs Darcy

Helen said...

Dulse is a kind of seaweed.

Anonymous said...

dulse is seaweed and here in Ireland it is called dillisk and we eat it with joy! Yum!